[lbo-talk] Wish I Was In Dixie (Re: The North's burden of enlightening the South (was Re: The "N

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 13:22:58 PST 2007

Yes, that's fair. But maybe put it this way. When black people play blues, jazz, etc., it's a way to express that black is beautiful. And the music is of course, no one with any knowledge of the subject would deny this, predominantly black in origin and in much of its development.

But of course it's black the way blackness is in America, which is eclectic, just as "black" people are a social group so identified by self and others rather than a biologically distinct population (a biological "race" if there is such a thing), whose social and biological makeup includes lots of elements adopted and transformed from the general background that influences them as they influence it, so jazz (blues, etc.) is a music, largely black in origin and development, that has lots of other _essential_ elements feeding into it from other parts or aspects of our culture (European classical music, American folk and country, Broadway show tunes, pop music generally).

And of course when white and other musicians play jazz and blues, while it can be a tribute and support to the idea that black is beautiful, it's not a self-expression of that idea or feeling. But it's no less really and authentically jazz (blues) for all that: Duke Ellington or Woody Herman, Louis Armstrong or Muggsy Spanier, Ella Fitzgerald or Anita O'Day, James Carter or Joe Lovano -- you can argue the relative merits of these artists, but what you can't do is argue that the white artists aren't doing great authentic jazz.