[lbo-talk] In Los Angeles, No One Cares That You're Screaming

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 22:18:01 PST 2007

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Several of my friends have moved to LA.
>
>What awaited them when they arrived from cities such as New York, Phila
>,Boston and London? Well, almost exactly what Geoff Manaugh describes,
>including the bracing sense of liberation from being noticed. It must
>work: they're all very successful.
>
>Events are pushing me towards LA. Perhaps I should get ready to happily
>not matter.

There are far worse places than LA. I lived there for 10 years. The only thing I really hated about it was the smog. Supposedly it's better now. Otherwise, I liked its lack of pretentions -- what could it be pretentious about? In fact, I liked the theater/opera scene there much more than the Bay Area. Nice weather and some good museums (Norton Simon), but NOT the Getty. Couple of major universities...so book stores galore, etc.

Joanna