[lbo-talk] Southern culture vs African-American Music (was other things)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Nov 20 06:01:35 PST 2007

>>> Chris Doss >>>

Does suffering have a 4/4 rhythm, a I-IV-V chord progression, and a song structure involving alternating verses, choruses, and bridges? Does it use a pentatonic scale?

I don't know, but I suspect that -- given that slaveowners tried to wipe out traces of African tribal cultures, and hence African music, in their slaves -- "Black" music was derived almost totally from 19th-century "White" Southern folk and church music. Since that is the only stuff black people would have heard.

^^^^^^^

CB: There are studies of this. Anthropologist Merville Herskovits finds African cultural survivals in African American culture. For example, Santaria.

Leroi Jones/Amiri Baraka and Angela Davis disagree with your speculation of no African culturalness to Black American music.