[lbo-talk] Plame revisited: McClellan says it's Bush, Cheney, Rove

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 20 12:12:47 PST 2007

<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6994.html>

McClellan points finger at Bush, Rove By: Mike Allen Nov 20, 2007 01:05 PM EST

Former White House press secretary Scott McClellan names names in a caustic passage from a forthcoming memoir that accuses President Bush, Karl Rove and Vice President Cheney of being "involved" in his giving the press false information about the CIA leak case.

McClellan's publisher released three paragraphs from the book "WHAT HAPPENED: Inside the Bush White House and What's Wrong With Washington."

The excerpts give no details about the alleged involvement of the president or vice president.

But McClellan lists five top officials as having allowed him inadvertently to mislead the public.

"I stood at the White house briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the seniormost aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby," McClellan wrote.

"There was one problem. It was not true."

McClellan then absolves himself and makes an inflammatory — and potentially lucrative for his publisher — charge.

"I had unknowingly passed along false information," McClellan wrote.

"And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the vice president, the president's chief of staff and the president himself."

McClellan says he was in that position because he trusted the president: "The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on his behalf and help restore credibility he lost amid the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq."

In recent conversations and in his many public speaking engagements, McClellan has made it clear he retains great affection for the president.

But White House sources have long said that Rove and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the vice president's chief of staff, allowed McClellan to suggest day after day that they had no involvement in the publication of the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Later testimony showed that they did, although neither was the original source of the leak.

A federal jury found Libby guilty of on perjury and obstruction charges, and Bush later commuted his 30-month sentence.

In an appearance on CNN's "Larry King Live" in March, the day Libby was found guilty, McClellan said Bush did not originally know about the involvement by his aides.

McClellan told King: "I spoke with those individuals, … and those individuals assured me they were not involved in this. … said what I believed to be true at the time. It was also what the president believed to be true at the time based on assurances that we were both given. Knowing what I know today, I would have never said that back then."

Friends say McClellan was privately bitter and hurt.

He and Rove had come to Washington from Texas together.

"Scottie," as Bush called him, had worked in the Texas governor's office, making him one of the president's longest serving aides.

McClellan, an Austin native, was White House press secretary from 2003 to 2006. Before that, he was traveling press secretary for the Bush-Cheney campaign of 2000.

When McClellan announced his resignation in April 2006, he and the president embraced during a tearful appearance on the South Lawn.

Bush said: "I thought he handled his assignment with class, integrity. ... One of these days he and I are going to be rocking on chairs in Texas, talking about the good old days and his time as the press secretary. And I can assure you I will feel the same way then that I feel now, that I can say to Scott, 'Job well done.'"

Now they'll have even more to talk about.

The 400-page hardcover, with a price of $27.95, is set for publication April 21.