[lbo-talk] black class gap

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 20 20:07:49 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> John Adams wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:38 AM, bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
>>
>>> so basically, were i ehrenreich in the face of these accusations, I'd
>>> just
>>> say, "Yeah. Isn't it nice." (maybe that's a longer way of saying,
>>> "whatever"? heh.)
>>
>> I didn't realize she was a southern belle, but that puts a whole new
>> light on her, doesn't it?
>
> I think bitch is remembering my remembering a Time magazine story from
> 1947 about a men's club devoted to telling women their slips showed
> dissovled because of the new fashion that year: too many women would
> just reply, "Yes, isn't it nice."

I was thinking of one of my very favorite jokes, which I've copied from elsewhere rather than rewritten from memory:

Two southern women were talking at a coffee shop.

"My husband took us on an around the world cruise last year," The first woman said.

"That's nice." The second southern belle replied.

"And a couple months ago my husband bought me that mercedes out there," The first woman said pointing out the window.

"That's nice." the second woman replied.

"Why just last week my husband bought me this gorgeous diamond ring," The first woman said showing off the ring.

"That's nice." the second woman replied again.

"How about you?" the first woman inquired. "What's your husband done recently?"

"Well," The second woman drawled. "He sent me to one of those really fancy finishing schools."

"Really!" the first woman exclaimed. "What kind of things did they teach you?"

"They taught me to say 'that's nice.' instead of 'Fuck you.'" the second woman replied.