[lbo-talk] financial innovation

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 15:26:30 PST 2007

Sell crap when it smells sweet. Promise to buy when it doesn't. And write it off your balance sheets.

Shane

New York Times November 16, 2007

High & Low Finance As Bank Profits Grew, Warning Signs Went Unheeded By FLOYD NORRIS

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/business/16norris.html>

[...] Banks put together collateralized debt obligations, or C.D.O.’s, many of which held subprime mortgage loans as assets. The C.D.O.’s were financed by issuing their own securities, and the risk of mortgage defaults seemed to pass to the people who bought the securities.

But we now learn that some banks also handed out liquidity puts, giving buyers of C.D.O. securities the right to sell them back to the bank if there was no other market for them. That risk may have seemed slight when the securitization market was booming. But now the banks are being forced to buy back securities for more than they are worth.

With such a put in existence, I don’t understand how the banks could get the original loans off their balance sheets. How could they claim they had sold something if they could be forced to buy it back? It will be interesting to see if the Securities and Exchange Commission challenges the accounting.

[....]