[lbo-talk] mystical fascist race theory

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Nov 21 18:24:57 PST 2007

bhandari at berkeley.edu wrote:
> high heritability estimates for 'intelligence' from identical twin stuides
> does not indicate the power of intelligence 'genes'; results could be from
> shared environment having the same effect due not to intelligence genes
> but identical genes which control for chemical reactions which effect the
> development of the embryo. Moreover, identical twins are treated more
> alike than fraternal twins. See Mark Nathan Cohen. And the hereditarians
> have not provided an explanation for rest of the variation which seems too
> great for theory of genetic determinism. The quality of Boucher's data
> seems up for question as well.
> Rakesh

Just to be clear, I completely reject the claim that IQ performance is determined by genetics. However, the claim that genetics has nothing to do with IQ performance is also inconsistent with the available data. I suspect ravi will point out when I said this many years ago on LBO, but it's worth repeating: most important psychological characteristics are produced by a complex interaction of genetic and environmental factors.

Miles