[lbo-talk] gloom

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Nov 22 06:23:57 PST 2007

well, it's precisely what carrol's talking about, isn't it? he tends to think it will be crises. in the end, if history shows that its economic good times, whatever. you're both embracing the same idea. it didn't just happen, but happened *also* because there were years of work involved preparing the soil so to speak.

that is pretty much all anyone who takes the view you denounced in previous post is talking about: it's not history determines events solely, but that history *and* people make it happen. they never say that we are blades grass blown by the economic winds and we can do nothing to encourage along our own circumstances, only emerging to fight revolutionary struggles when the economy is just so. they say that these economic conditions can help foment and strengthen revolutionary struggles already being undertaken, when events throw people into situations that demand that they take action, when they can no longer ignore the circumstances, etc. etc. the tiring thing about reading you on the topic is that you uselessly spend most of your time setting up a straw man to knock down, and then picking the straw off your sweatpants and acting like some old timer marxist dumped the straw on you.

Oh! Yeah. Happy Genocide Day!