[lbo-talk] Wish I Was In Dixie

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 07:56:10 PST 2007

I don't think I disagree with you, but there's innovation and innovation. Sure, deferential reproductions of old recordings, museum perfect copies of old routines are pretty tedious, as are painfully careful performances in the pastiche style of old routines. This is the Carnegie Hall Wynton Marsalis failing in jazz, and lord knows there is a lot of it in blues, especially by white artists and some younger black ones who merely revere the music. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. Likewise tired and cynical stuff for tourists, which, you are right, infects some New Orleans jazz -- I recently saw a band like that at Preservation Hall, very competent but they were not really trying very hard. You do here this a lot in Chicago, yes. But the kinds of things that give "swing" to the blues, that give it that kick and fire that we both listen for, don't involve that restless reinvention of everything every few decade or so that characterizes jazz, or characterized it until they ran out of radically new things to say. The blues is a lot more like bluegrass or traditional folk or Celtic music, which can also suffer from formaldehyde, but which have shown a lot more stability than jazz. Something about the range of innovation or whatever it is that keeps the music fresh when it is doesn't require the _kind_ of breakneck planned obsolescence that has shadowed jazz. Btw to my ears Delta-style blues, acoustic style guitar, is museumy when done today. Electric blues still can catch fire. You are right that the analogy to classical music was poor. I was thinking about modern performance standard. Composition was ruthlessly innovative in something like the way jazz was when it was alive up until about, say WWII, but since then, the lack of innovation is a sign of senescence.

http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm