[lbo-talk] twin studies & IQ

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 22:30:45 PST 2007

It is not true that if something is influenced by genetics is is "heritable by definition." That is because all traits of organisms are "influenced by genetics" - genetics an the environment are all there are to influence any trait. Thus the trait of speaking English is influenced by genetics, and is partially explained by a biologically based capacity to learn languages, a capacity which is itself heritable, but the trait of speaking English is decidedly not heritable.

Further, the "central dogma" of molecular biology is that DNA is transcribed to RNA, then to protein, never the reverse direction, at least from protein to DNA/RNA (reverse transcription, RNA-->DNA is not uncommon) -- this is a rejection of the heritability of environmentally caused changes in (genetically based) traits resulting from the actions of the proteins whose behavior is directed by genes (DNA sequences). This is a modern day rejection of Lamarckianism, the doctrine of the heritability of acquired characteristics. But obviously the behavior of proteins and the traits they cause are "influenced by genetics. We speak of traits as heritable, but strictly what is heritable in the information in the DNA, not the traits as manifested in the phenotype and influenced by the environment.

For a moderately technical discussion of heritability ( a very vexed concept often misunderstood) see:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heredity/

The non-numerate can skip the equations and just read the prose.