[lbo-talk] "JERRY LEVY, MALICIOUS LIAR"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 25 05:17:05 PST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Seth Ackerman wrote:

> Check out this page (actually, a series of pages) from the website of
> the Marxist economist Andrew Kliman, who somehow has a job teaching at
> Pace University. It concerns a personal dispute between himself and
> Jerry Levy, another Marxist economist who also teaches at schools in
> NYC. I have never - ever - read anything more crazy, unintentionally
> hilarious (yet vaguely unnerving) than this. Really, don't stop
> reading
> until the denoument. It just gets better and better.

Kliman's a wild character. I once saw him storm out of a discussion of value theory with another member of this list (I won't name names, just to avoid roping him into this), announcing that he "didn't have to take this!" But what I'd overheard was little different from what you'd hear at an International Working Group on Value Theory session. At a conference in late 2001, Kliman came up to me and said, "See! I'm still here, despite your best efforts." I have no idea what he was talking about. Back in the 90s, he sued URPE for allegedly mishandling a paper he'd submitted to the RRPE. A few years ago, he started the New SPACE (<http://new-space.mahost.org/> - the "P" stands for "pluralism," of course - the sure sign that AK is near) because the Brecht Forum edited the catalog copy for a course he was teaching there. Oh, and he's a pal of the guy who withheld my subscription list. Value theory seems to drive people around the bend, or vice versa.

Check out the New SPACE pluralism manifesto at:

<http://www.new-space.mahost.org/pluralism.html>.

Doug