[lbo-talk] Kliman on Marx

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 26 10:12:29 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Gary Mongiovi wrote:

> Still, Doug is right that it's hard to see why some people get so
> worked up about it. I've argued with Kliman et al. about these
> issues because they are interesting to me. But I wouldn't presume
> they will be interesting to most people. And I sure don't see why
> the debate can't be collegial & constructive.

Glad to hear you say this, Gary.

Katha Pollitt has an essay in her latest collection, Learning to Drive, about the Marx reading group that Paul Mattick Jr brought her into. She observed that Marxism today has about it a certain lonely guy aspect, like stamp collecting. As much as it hurts me to admit it, she's got a point. It's as if the intensity of the arguments are inverse proportion to their real world consequences.

Doug