[lbo-talk] Marx on profits

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Nov 27 00:50:13 PST 2007

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 11/27/07 8:22 AM >>>
From: Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Marx on profits

The way I read it is that there is a FROP. It leads to a crisis, just like Seth described. If the crisis is not too severe, capital can come back even stronger (possibly), but eventually a crisis will be so severe that we can move on to a better form of society.

I think some people expect the crisis to appear only as rows of empirical data on a computer printout.

The trouble is, that if we wait until the final crisis is here before we do something about it it will precisely NOT lead to a better form of society. It will only do so if we have pre-empted the whole thing by evolving a better way of living. But if we persist with "crisis? what crisis" right up until the very end, then it will just be rats and roaches and roving bands of armed survivors. That could be sooner than we think.

Our empiricists don't get that because the imagination has been trained out of them.

Tahir