[lbo-talk] book chat

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 08:07:31 PST 2007

--- cgrimes at rawbw.COM wrote:

"So then his ideas about political philosophy were essentially repressive and anti-democratic in spirit, a spirit opposed to the spirit of the time. He was out of time, out of sync with the fundamental thrust of his time. His return to the Greeks was a return to Sparta, to nasty old rabbis of the temple, and to the hierarchical militaristic elite patriarchy of Pussia---which he was theoretically revolting against. His revolt was based on envy, not distain"

I havent read this book of Drury's, but your comments on Strauss above seem to describe most contemporary conservative writers (like Roger Scruton), so it's hard to imagine that she missed this point.

BobW