[lbo-talk] book chat

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 27 12:10:34 PST 2007

``...its hard to imagine she missed the point.''

BobW

-------

I didn't explain, and I can't remember exactly, because I read Drury's book on Strauss a couple of years ago.

What was wrong was her explanation of Strauss that had to do with his advocacy of lying to protect power in the Machiavellian sense. This is complicated, but lying to protect power is the hallmark of tyranny and not a republican virtue.

I don't I've got to go back over her Strauss analysis, now that I've read many other things for background. It was just an impression that she didn't quite make the right sort of thing clear about why Strauss and conservatives are actually philosophical, practical, and politically threaten to destory what they claim they value, i.e. liberal democracy. Hell they have all but destroyed its legal foundations...

More later, I at work.

CG