[lbo-talk] Marx on profits

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 27 13:09:46 PST 2007

On Tue, November 27, 2007 7:45 am, Seth Ackerman wrote:

> Here's a game: Name a country in the OECD. (Exclude the new
> semi-periperal memebrs - Mexico, Korea, etc.) Then name an era in the last
> 150 years when class consciousness and mobilization in that country
> were lower.

By any definition of mobilization, the US in the 1920s, Europe from 1848 to 1945, and Meiji Japan had far less working-class consciousness and mobilization than they do today, and even the limited forms of mobilizations they had were saturated with patriarchy, xenophobia and racism.

I don't mean to diminish the reality of neoliberalism. But the regression happening in the US really isn't shared by the rest of the industrialized world.

-- DRR