[lbo-talk] Fear of Queers (Was Re: top 10 on Conservapedia)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 15:16:11 PST 2007

I don't get it either. I'm probably a Kinsey 2, and there are guys I might not, in principle, mind having sex with, though I never have. Certainly the thought doesn't revolt me. (Btw Brian says the thought of sex with a woman revolts _him_.) Coprophagia, by contrast, hits my ik response.

However, the gross-out response to male homosexuality is very strong among lots of people. I used to get it when I'd do a unit on gay rights in my intro ethics class back in my philosophy teaching days. This despite the fact that there are (as the Supreme Court has finally recognized) no rational arguments of any kind that can be stated to object to homosexual activity.

If I had to indulge in pop psychology I'd say the animus, the gross-out, the ik, is not due to generalized fear of change, but to the threat that out male homosexuality or even (open) male homosexual activity poses to deeply entrenched social identities of masculinity and femininity, roughly, by making men into women, as it is seen -- subordinate, weaker, submissive beings, open same-sexery, whether gay self-identification or just same-same activity, threatens men's self image and women's image of men, and their whole sense of the order of things.

Note that in situations (prison, the service, etc.) where the choice is opportunistic homosexual behavior or celibacy, the contempt is mainly reserved for the men who take the "submissive" role, the "woman's" role.

Never mind of course that lots of gays are uber-manly man, rationality has nothing do with it. This also explains why lots of homophobes are not grossed out by lesbianism or female same-sex acts, they people involved are already women.

Although I don't care to reignite the kink wars that occasionally flare up here, I note that one objection to this theory is it's not clear to me that queer fear and loathing of male homosexual behavior carries over to submissive men in BDSM relations or to power reversal/exchange sex play, even when the point of those relationships or play is to put the woman in charge. Even some religious conservatives who are very anti-gay don't always disapprove of such play in marriage. I wonder why not.