[lbo-talk] Bearzilla Stomps Neocons

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 28 13:50:52 PST 2007

dredmond at efn.org wrote:

> Putin to the diplomatic corps:
>
> "Ladies and gentlemen, I think it would be no exaggeration to say that a
> moment of truth is upon us in global politics. It is time to make a
> decisive break with a past in which ideology split and divided the world.
> It is time to abandon the policy of dictates and the concept of
> superpowers. Unfortunately, practice shows us that these past attitudes
> still linger on today."

I am provisionally happy that Russia has "stood up" and now presents some balance to u.s. power. That is all to the good. But taken abstractly, as a general proposition, this is the very heart of capitalist ideology; nothing could be more vicious. It is another version of the propaganda that covered the murder of 2 million plus vietnamese, Johnson's "Let us Reason Together."

If capitalism survives u.s. hegemony, the power(s) that replace it (Russia, China, European Union, what-have-you) will be at least as vicious enemies of humanity as the u.s. is now -- and probably worse, given what the struggle to achieve hegemony does to a ruling class. Putrin is greatly preferable to Bush for one reason and one reason only: Russia lacks the economic, political, & military might of the U.S.

Carrol