[lbo-talk] constant state of affairs (was something else

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Nov 29 00:01:55 PST 2007

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 11/28/07 8:01 PM >>>

On Nov 28, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Tahir Wood wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:50 AM, Tahir Wood wrote:
>
>> Our empiricists don't get that because the imagination has been
>> trained
>> out of them.
>
> Hmm, so not only do we have to adjust bourgeois accounting
> categories, we have to re-train our imaginations to see the crisis?
>
> Tahir: Yes, of course. You are no doubt now saying that there is no
> such thing as bourgeois consciousness, ideology, forms of
abstraction,
> etc. You're getting closer to the truth, the truth about what you
> really
> think, Doug. The alternatives to bourgeois thought are all forms of
> religion and/or psychosis, according to you, no?

No. I'm not saying any such thing. I'm saying that crisis is a wrong and misleading word to use for a constant state of affairs.

I've seen you say it. Secondly, "constant state of affairs" to describe the world is the most banal piece of ideology I've ever seen. Such hyper-abstraction can have no empirical foundation of any kind. Tahir