[lbo-talk] law of value

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 29 13:28:02 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Man, that's a wacky list, OPE-L! Purges, resignations, gag orders.
>
>This history belongs in the Smoking Gun or something:
>
><http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/ope-l/2007m11/msg00162.htm>

I have a question for anybody, but especially for Rakesh, because he's smart and reasonable, and because he's hung out in these precincts of the online left and presumably knows how things operate there.

My question, with no snark or sarcasm intended, is: Why are people who study Marxian economics so crazy? Why is it so hard for them to engage in civil discourse? Why the personal hatred, the paranoia, the purges, gag orders, etc? This is an honest question.

I know that flame wars or whatnot are supposed to be endemic on the internet. This is the only list I've ever belonged to, so I can't judge for myself. But these Marxians are all highly educated, academically oriented, articulate adults. They're not a bunch of yahoos or angst-filled teenagers in their parents' basement. Why the hell are they like this?

I can't relocate it now, but yesterday I stumbled on a Wikipedia talk page where Kliman was waging an edit war with his nemesis. Not sure exactly how Wikipedia works, but apparently there are volunteer arbitrators or mediators who help when there are disagreements. The shock and bafflement of these poor people who were dealing with the dispute - I mean, they were really appalled - it was tragicomic. Some choice quotes (from memory) included: "I think some people just don't *get* Wikipedia" "So apprently this is some sort of dispute on an interpretation of Marxism called TSSI. I can't believe this is actually still going on, but anyway, what needs to happen is..." At one point a mediator linked despairingly to an warring edit log, almost incredulous at its length. I clicked on it. It went on for over 500 pages! I mean, where do these people get the time?! It almost made me embarrased to be on the left.

Seth