[lbo-talk] law of value

Eubulides prince.plumples at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:10:55 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 7:42 AM, Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> >You might want to peruse the discussions of Sraffa at OPE-L that
> >involve RB. Perhaps you'll reconsider your fawning....
> >
> >A Marx mathematized with nonlinear differential equations instead of
> >matrix algebra for the purposes of macroeconomic modeling still ends
> >up jettisoning lots of stuff in C vI-III
> >
> >Ian
>
> Wow. No one should fawn, please present an argument against what I
> said. Your argument or someone else's (you don't have to give the
> person's name).

If the deployment of matrix algebra to demonstrate some of the inconsistencies of some of Marx' hypotheses isn't enough to convince you that Occam's razor is applicable to the ltv, what makes you think you'd be convinced by the use of nonlinear diff eqs.?

Sraffa's argument was deployed against the then mainstream of the profession on their own terms. That his work has non fatal, yet serious, ramifications for Marx' work should no more bother Marxists than quantum theory should have bothered Einstein. There's plenty left to analyze and explain with what's left.

But then, I've *almost* learned that discussing this issue with you is a waste of all too precious time. :-)

Ian