[lbo-talk] The Idea of the Third World (was Re: Iran and Latin America)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 10:48:27 PDT 2007

On 10/1/07, dredmond at efn.org <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> On Mon, October 1, 2007 8:51 am, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > But the NAM itself won't be the main medium through which building
> > blocks for checking US hegemony can be built.
>
> What hegemony? This is a serious question. That $770 billion-sized
> military has utterly failed to colonize tiny Iraq, gutted by a decade of
> sanctions. The US has fallen behind 30 to 40 countries in quality of life
> indicators ranging from life expectancy to infant mortality. The US
> current account deficit is 7% of GDP and its net international investment
> position is minus 35% of GDP.

To take the most obvious example, if the US had already totally lost its hegemony, Iran would not have become an object of international sanctions, which Washington has been gradually expanding and intensifying, formally and informally.

The threat to deny access to the US financial system so far appears to work better than the formal sanctions decided upon at the UNSC, both of which Ulhas here has been tracking assiduously.

That Washington has not been able to sanction Iran as much as and as fast as it wished to do so, however, is a sign of its eroding hegemony.

That is why we live in very interesting times. -- Yoshie