[lbo-talk] attitudes towards religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 23:50:04 PDT 2007

How old is the guy who has a view about Communists? I guess the thing I find remarkable is that the thought of Communists would come into his mind at all. In this country, and especially today, any views about Communists are sort of like the Elizabethan idea of atheists, no one had ever actually met one, spoken to one, seen one even, but one knew, somehow, that they were the Enemies of Humankind.

Most of my non- or semi-political friends think I am just Very Liberal, not in the slightly technical sense that I use the word, but just in a commonsense sort of way, meaning (for them) that I am basically a yellow dog Democrat and like the Clintons. (This despite my polite but firm statements that the Clintons refuse the term "liberal" in any sense, that I think they are basically Reaganites without the charm, and that I think the Democratic Party is a pathetic joke.) A few others -- or some of the same people! -- think that I am a "Communist" or a "Marxist," even if I tell them I don't call myself those things and that people who do call themselves those things think I don't qualify. Way too liberal.