[lbo-talk] high U.S. health costs: because we're too fat?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 09:15:29 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I was also surprised that we're smokier than the Euros. I'd thought
>
>everyone in Europe smoked and only the poor and neurotic smoked in
>the U.S.

Yeah. Me too. When I was all over Western Europe, four years ago, everybody was smoking everywhere. I noticed because I had just quit and it was tough to be surrounded by it.

The other thing that puzzled me was the article saying that cancer rates were higher in the U.S. because we did more screenening. Given that 1/3 of the population (or something like that) does not have insurance, and that, for the rest, insurance does not cover that much any more, where is all this screening coming from?

Joanna