[lbo-talk] Reps losing business class

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 11:29:12 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Wall Street Journal - October 2, 2007
>
> GOP Is Losing Grip
> On Core Business Vote
>

> In an interview, Mr. Greenspan noted: "I was brought up in the
> Republican Party of [Barry] Goldwater. He was for fiscal restraint
> and for deregulation, for open markets, for trade. Social issues were
> not a critical factor." Today's Republican party, he added, has
> "fundamentally been focusing on how to maintain political power, and
> my question is, for what purpose?"

Is Greenspan really this dumb? Hasn't he read Anthony Down's work on rational choice theory with regards to political parties? I would have thought his or Mancur Olson's works would have been required reading for someone in his position. Every group focuses on how to maintain power, that desire becomes an integral part of any groups purpose.

John Thornton