[lbo-talk] high U.S. health costs: because we're too fat?

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Oct 2 12:23:22 PDT 2007

``So the fact that we have more fat...and...poor than Western Europe has no effect on how sick or healthy we are?'' Doug

What is this, word games? Nevermind. I was multi-tasking, talking to some idiot technican at a manufacture tech call and typing that message at the same time...

So its two minutes before lunch break. I can develop it further. It's obvious that the whole health sector of the society and economy are interlocked so that the privatization of this government obligation has had severe and multiple impacts that all converge where the economic system, ways of life, public health, and public institution privatization have produced a poorer, sicker society that is also more expensive system and only perpetuates itself further down the spiral slide.

The way out is easy to write, but of course impossible to achieve. School public health, diet, physical education and plenty of non-computer activities, more public health neighborhood clinics and other out reach mechanisms, lots more open space and recreation in urban areas and rural areas... but most of all more personal time for everybody. Also development of more full service supermarkets in urban poor neightborhoods and obviously fewer fast food joints and liquor stores (which are also the usual kid joints for junk food)....

On and on, blah, blah. We've been over this so many times its just boring.

CG