[lbo-talk] high U.S. health costs: because we're too fat?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 13:26:20 PDT 2007

I don't see how obesity couldn't drive up health costs to some degree. I don't how much of the increase is purported to be because of increasing weight but I can't picture it being much. I don't imagine it is insignificant either. I too doubt the cancer rates in the U.S are higher because of better screening or that Europeans are for some reason under diagnosed. I'd like to see how this conclusion was reached. I suspect higher cancer rates in the U.S. are due to both environmental issues and dietary issues.

A friend in Canada tells me that the Government's Health Products and Food Branch does indeed have monopoly control over what drugs are available through their system but it is neither arbitrary nor unchallengeable. Not much different from the U.S. FDA telling doctors what drugs are available and what they can be used for, how they can be manufactured and how they are to be labeled. According to some the FDA's regulations rely too much on the drug manufacturers data. The company has a financial incentive to make the drug appear safe and have high efficacy. This means some drugs may be available in the U.S. before Canada but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I have a brother who died from taking Propulsid so I do not have an unbiased view of this issue.

John Thornton