[lbo-talk] end of the Wal-Mart era?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 08:53:48 PDT 2007

I confess, I shop at CostCo! The ability to buy cantaloupe and avocados and good lettuce year round, plums and peaches for five months, five pounds of chicken thighs for $5.80, and smoked salmon for $10, is hard to resist. For my vile support of this pillar of globalization and atmospheric pollution, however, I get to observe American habits close-up. My lasting impression of CostCo is the look of expectant bliss, at llAM of an ordinary working day, on the faces of people streaming in from the parking lot. Unforgettable!

BobW