[lbo-talk] Reps losing business class (sorry for last post)

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 09:39:43 PDT 2007

Doug wrote: "You could say - I might, though I'm not sure of this yet - is that the two parties serve as a kind of balancing act for capital. When things get too boomy, it's time for the Reps to come in and tighten the masses' belts. When the population gets restive after the round of austerity, it's time for a Dem to come in and throw the masses a few bones. We're on the verge of a bone-throwing phase, I guess."

I think Kevin Phillips made this observation in *Wealth and Democracy in America*. His point, that Americans temperamentally believe in making money, and dont mind that other people are making more, except now and then, as in the 1890's, when money-making seems to get out of hand. Then they allow the Dems to come in and make some reforms. I was surprised at how few reform eras, as opposed to wealth-building ones, there have been in American history.

Bob