[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Oct 3 16:02:50 PDT 2007

At 12:25 PM 10/3/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Poking through Gallup's site searching for the right track/wrong
>track question, I came across an analysis of who likes Hillary.
>Overall, respondents divide equally - 48% like her, 48% don't. But
>the strongest support of any demographic group comes from blacks, 84%
>of whom like her.
>
>Given Carrol Cox's repeated urgings that white leftists follow black
>leadership, I await his donning a Hillary in '08 button.
>
>Liberals like her more than moderates - 80% vs. 71%. 54% of women and
>41% of men like her. 43% of whites do. And just 10% of conservative
>Republicans do.

my anecdotal experiences at work tell me same. from women, it's because they see her as a strong woman and because they think it's high time a woman was elected.

as for carrol, i think that his views are much like those of radical women of color: it's not just any old blacks or people of color who will do. it must be people of color engaged in radical struggle.

that always made sense, to me. then i read the history of the early radical women's liberation movement where it became clear that the same arguments we are often told, today, are the product of arm chair speculations of people who don't actually do anything, we rooted in the disagreemtns that arose between those who *did* actually do something. being engaged in radical struggle didn't narrow down the choices or make it clear which direction to take for them. maybe that's not what carrol means, but it is most certainly what radical women of color (online) mean and they usually quote the usual suspects to back up their arguments.

anyways. I'm a YUP, so I must be off to the gym! *sn-words at self*

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)