[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 06:48:03 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, bitch at pulpculture.org <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> my anecdotal experiences at work tell me same. from women, it's because
> they see her as a strong woman and because they think it's high time a
> woman was elected.

My wife has been complaining for months about how so many otherwise progressive women -- even those who consider themselves closet radicals -- are supporting Hillary simply because she's a woman. I've heard this off and on, but my wife says she hears it all the time. What sheer, inexcusable idiocy!

In March, I was speaking to one of my good friends from college (a former rad student activist who appeared in Liza's Students Against Sweatshops book) at a wedding. She's been working for Hillary in Iowa. Why? First, "because I'm totally psyched about the idea of having a woman president." Second, "because they offered to give me more responsibility than [some of the other mainstream Dem. candidates]." To be polite, I told her that it sounded like a good professional move. But really! To call oneself a "progressive woman," much less a "radical woman" and support Hillary because she's also a woman? Lamest. Knee-jerk. Identity. Politics. Ever.

-WD