[lbo-talk] Left - Right 30 Year Itch

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 4 10:49:03 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Oct 4, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Ismail Lagardien wrote:
>

>>anyway, a student came to me after class and said that he had
>>attended a lecture by some bloke who suggested that we may be
>>heading for/be at the end of a 30 year swing to the right.... the
>>point was this: 1968 was when the swing to the right started, and
>>what uncle george, uncle dick and auntie connie have done is
>>precipitate a swing (back) to the left. i found this quite an
>>intriguing thesis, suggested that we have coffee and discuss it
>>further.
>>

>Didn't Arthur Schlesinger come up with that idea, or at least
>popularize it?

FDR = Reagan Truman = GHW Bush Eisenhower = Clinton Kennedy/Johnson = Bush Hillary Clinton = Nixon 1968 = 2008

But note that things seemed to be moving left for years after 1968. A clearly visible shift to the right only started in the late '70's. So if 1968 = 2008, the next decade will still seem very hopeless.

Seth