[lbo-talk] Left - Right 30 Year Itch

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Oct 4 13:16:39 PDT 2007

Ismail Lagardien

I teach an Intro to Comparative Politics... a terrifyingly boring subject, and the text book i submitted as required reading is offensively mundane, even banal. i was asked to teach the course - not many choices as an adjunct for hire

however, when it came to the Chapter on France, I gave a lecture on May '68, as one the the "critical junctures" in France's post-war history... wasn't bad, but I needed them to know... (used the Chapter on Britain to discuss the Thatcher-Reagan-Neoliberal trend)

anyway, a student came to me after class and said that he had attended a lecture by some bloke who suggested that we may be heading for/be at the end of a 30 year swing to the right.... the point was this: 1968 was when the swing to the right started, and what uncle george, uncle dick and auntie connie have done is precipitate a swing (back) to the left. i found this quite an intriguing thesis, suggested that we have coffee and discuss it further.

any thoughts?

^^^^^^

CB: More like the swing to the right started in 1978-1980.