[lbo-talk] Left - Right 30 Year Itch

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Oct 4 13:58:31 PDT 2007

[WS:] It looks like the old trite "pendulum" argument - basically wishful thinking that lacks any convincing causal element. What exactly causes these swings? If this is a manufactured rather than quasi-natural phenomenon (as the pendulum theory implies), then the swing to the right was clearly caused by the growing power of business (globalization, fall of the USSR etc.). However, I do not see any material base that would cause a swing to the left today? Perhaps you may ask that question over coffee.

Wojtek

^^^^^^^

CB: Yea, it's like long waves in economics or the cycle of Halley's comet. They are posed like nothing can be done about them - inalterable objective conditions. The thing is to change the world, not just interpret it. How can we end the right side of the swing ?