[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Oct 4 14:46:46 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 13:39 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:

> > Yeah, you & I know that, but 85-90% of AA's don't agree. Do we know
> > better than they?
> >
> I have to shrug and admit I just don't understand their reasoning.

Forget about the first 'A' for a minute -- just assume they're 'normal' Americans, as that LA police chief memorably said. Assume they're answering these pollsters based on the same media representations of reality as their melanin-challenged cousins. 'What's the matter with Harlem?' doesn't seem to me a harder question to answer than 'what's the matter with Kansas' -- in fact, it's probably the same answer, don't you think?

It's very unfair to black folks to expect 'em to be smarter than white folks. Admittedly, this is not setting the bar very high, but still, fair is fair.