[lbo-talk] Pew: globo's pretty popular, Americans very religious

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 08:31:06 PDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:Quite a few people on the left are rather anti-trade, and talk

> fantastically about "de-linking." Walden Bello had a piece about that
> just the other day. American unions are constantly denouncing trade
> deals and foreign competition. Aside from being extremely hard to
> imagine in practical terms, this sort of thing has almost no
> constituency - except, it seems, among a certain subset of political
> intellectuals who travel widely to international conferences to
> preach the virtues of localism. In the U.S., political candidates
> with high-profile anti-trade agendas repeatedly get crushed.

I think we have to separate union activists who want to support Buchananite protectionism, and those who want to oppose neoliberal systems like NAFTA. As for the term 'de-linking', I think you're misconstruing Bello's argument. He isn't arguing against trade, he's arguing for the subordination of international trade to domestic popular interests. He is calling for regulation. Trade Justice or (Lord save us all) 'Fair Trade' is probably the proper term for it.