[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Oct 5 17:19:16 PDT 2007

At 02:28 PM 10/5/2007, Joseph Catron wrote:
>Doesn't that work out to "people of color who think exactly like Carrol"?

well, toward the end of that, I wrote about how those involved in radical struggle turn out not to agree. I was specifically talking about the radical arm of the women's liberation movement. i noted, from really getting into the guts of that history, I learned that many of the divisions on the left, which are often said to be the result of those who don't actually engage in social struggle (organizing, union organizing, whatever), are not the result of people who don't do anything -- don't get involved -- but merely "think". Rather, those divisions, at least in the feminist movement, erupted *as a result* of being engaged in social struggle and coming to different conclusions about things like whether theory is important or not (or perhaps, rather, the question of the relationship between theory and practice), whether you should work within the system or not and how so, whether, for feminism, we should be attacking women themselves for their false consciousness and participation in their own oppression or rather should we take the tack of pointing at social structural issues, etc. (part of the reason for Carol Hanishch writing about her understanding of how "the personal is political" -- which was an argument against the notion that merely changing one's lifestyle would address the structural issues that are the source of women's (and class, racial, etc.) oppression.

So, on the surface, it might seem so, but actual engagement in social struggle doesn't mean everyone involved thinks the same. Your own experience in such activities should tell you that, yes? My own involvement with the Uhuru Movement indicated the same: there were some deep, enduring similarities but, even there, with a great deal of criticism of the dems, this last election cycle there was a vigorous debate as to what to do -- particularly since we're talking LimpDick.