[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Oct 6 19:00:37 PDT 2007

At 06:03 PM 10/6/2007, Joseph Catron wrote:
>You are, of course, correct, so allow me to rephrase:
>
>Doesn't "[following] people of color engaged in radical struggle"
>translate, in practical terms, into "following people of color who are
>engaged in exactly the kinds of struggles Carrol already thinks he
>should be engaged in"?
>
>Which rather abrogates the whole idea of following, no?

Not in my experience, no. It's not about following, anyway. It's more about de-centering whiteness, which doesn't mean centering people of color in their stead. This conversation, for instance, immediately moved from a consideration of blacks, their interests, etc. and right into a discussion of white people and what they think and why.....

Anyway, a bitch is tired from housework and grocery shopping. I'm going to go read on the veranda and watch the rowdy revelers heading toward the clubs, count how many times the sizzlean go by, and watch as tuxedoed men with gray speckled temples and ball gown glittered women with long gloves on go to the opera.

By the way, a question: I heard some horns honking downtown today while I was cleaning the veranda. I stopped dead in my tracks and flashed back to my childhood when, on any given saturday during the warm weather, you'd always hear horns honking from a church where a couple was getting married. I realized that I hadn't heard that sound in years. Do people still do it?