[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sun Oct 7 06:16:40 PDT 2007

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 06:53:32 -0400, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> The English-speaking world had, two years before the publication of Le
> Nouvel Esprit du capitalisme (1999), Thomas Frank's The Conquest of
> Cool (1997) and before that The Baffler (1988-2006). The centerpiece
> of both is analysis of the way management discourse incorporated
> artistic criticism from the long sixties to make capitalism seem more
> exciting, or cooler as Frank put it, in ideology.

Well, I'm reading _One Market Under God_ right now, and it's a delightful complement to _New Spirit_. Frank certainly presents a rich and detailed portrait of the time, and he has a great sense for the stupidity of it all (which he cautions us not to get all excited about), but his level of analysis doesn't get much deeper than the office talk I was party to in the late nineties.

Best, Charles