[lbo-talk] antiwar candidate

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 8 06:57:22 PDT 2007

<http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/10/gov-bill-richar.html>

"What they are talking about -- what Senator Clinton is talking about is she's cautious. It's a calculating message. I am decisive. I say that I will get all of our troops out, no residual forces within a year of my presidency," he said. "The time has come not to change the mission, as Senator Obama and Clinton want to do, but to end the war."

Richardson expressed his support for a resolution to de-authorize the war put forth by Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W. Va. "Instead of going ahead and proceeding with resolutions cutting funding and benchmarks, they should deauthorize the war," Richardson said. "I believe a national movement could be built to support that. The president cannot veto that because it would be under Article I of the Constitution. That is the decisive step that the American people want."