[lbo-talk] blacks shun military

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 8 14:50:45 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood forwarded:
> The unpopular Iraq war is the biggest reason, according to military
> analysts, Pentagon surveys, and interviews with young African-
> Americans. But they say mistrust of the Bush administration is adding
> to the problem - along with the notion that black soldiers are being
> steered to combat jobs, a lingering perception from the Vietnam War.

Where did the idea that AA's are being steered towards combat jobs? The last I read AA's were underrepresented in casualties. 69% of the military is Anglo but 74.3% of the casualties are while AA's comprise 12.3% of the military but have 9.6% of the casualties. Asians are 3.7% of the military but suffer 1.8% of the casualties. Hispanics are 12.5% and suffer 10.7% of the casualties. NA's are 1% and suffer 1.1% of the casualties. Unfortunately NA's are still joining in large numbers and are overrepresented in the military by: Air Force +160% Army +140% Navy +16.7% I don't know why the Navy is so much lower than the other branches. For those who don't know the Marines are part of the Navy but I didn't find a breakout for the Marines separately.

John Thornton