[lbo-talk] blacks shun military

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 8 16:08:46 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:50 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>

>> I don't know why the Navy is so much lower than the other branches.
>>

> Isn't the Navy the snootiest of the branches?

I guess it depends on your definition of snooty. In my time in the Navy my perception was that the Air Force guys considered themselves the elites. They did have the most difficult entry criteria but perhaps that's changed. The Navy was very proud of it's history and considers itself the oldest branch of the military. In the Hospital Corps you constantly are told that Corpsmen have the highest percentage of Congressional Metals of Honor over any other rate and that you have some hughly high standard to live up to.

John Thornton