[lbo-talk] Volunteering

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 8 15:47:34 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:

> Indeed! As I have posted before on this list, I have been entirely
> unable to find a non-religious entity that will use me in any way
> than as a source of funds. Some of them even have FAQs that say that
> they appreciate my wanting to contribute time, but really, they would
> rather have my money and hire "experts" to do the work. Many
> organisations do not even respond to requests. When I was in college
> in Philadelphia I used to tutor non-maths major undergraduate
> students in mathematics... I was hoping to do similar things for
> school or college students, but couldn't find a way to do so (the
> local college(s) do not permit that sort of ad hoc thing). What the
> churches provide is also a community and a network, which enable such
> contributions by providing a framework.

At one time the CPUSA (through various fronts) provided similar services. But start abstractly and (a) try to formulate what kind of an institution would be necessary to establish such services and (b) what aspects of secular life provide a context for the existence of such institutions. Your last sentence, if you think it through, is a complete answer to the questions raised. There are only two possible providers of the kind of services which can use "volunteer" labor -- Government and Organized Churches. Exchange Clubs, Rotary, Kiwanis or Elks, Moose, etc. can and perhaps do but less than formerly.

HOWEVER. You have heard the banal complaint, Too many Chiefs, Not enough Indians. Well, in most local left organizations (particularly anti-war groups) the problem is the opposite. We have (or could have) plenty of Indians but we are gravely lacking in Chiefs. Volunteer as a leader in a local anti-war group. Desperately needed.

Carrol