[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 9 02:26:36 PDT 2007

Yoshie writes:

"De jure discrimination of all kinds can be abolished for working-age adults under capitalism."

Then why hasn't it? Discrmination is allowed by law.

Most curious to me in my very cursory readings of list dialogue is the specter of a gay international.

The ideal typical liberals tolerate or become mutually indifferent to each others' diverse lifestyles and competing loyalties as as long as they do not interfere with the shared paramount obligations to what Kojin Karatani calls the Borromean ring of the capital-nation-state. Tolerance is predicated on intolerance of identities outside that ring--say supra national religious identity or any foreign national or supra national loyalty.

But does not the gay international stand outside the interlocking rings?

The same clearly cannot be said of the unions, the social democratic and labour parties. They could not even survive outside the Borromean rings.

I don't think working class partisans have grounds for acting more radical than thou to the gay internationalists and their heterosexual fellow travellers like the editor of the Left Business Observer.

And Iran is not being destabilized at the behest of the gay internationalists or even for the sake of liberal tolerance. Bush has made no inroads into the left by waving a rainbow flag. Really don't think there is a need to be so cynical about gay rights.

For Bush is eviscerating liberal freedom not for the sake of non heterosexist liberalism but in the name of anti terrorism via weapons of mass destruction for the sake of economic and political elites.

Rakesh