[lbo-talk] SRI and Clinton/Ira Magaziner

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Oct 9 03:27:02 PDT 2007

Magaziner masterminded Hillarycare, not the first huge liberal project of his that crashed.

I guess you have to give him some credit for not dedicating his life to getting rich.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of bitch at pulpculture.org Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 7:35 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] SRI and Clinton/Ira Magaziner

In this month's Atlantic Monthly, the issue focuses on 'values' in "The Values Issue". I picked it up because an article, 'The Giving Gene' by Olivia Judson, looked interesting. Plus, I just couldn't believe it. I walked five blocks to the downtown mall and sat in a brand spanking new B&N and flipped through magazines realizing: I could buy one! I could buy three! Or ten! Or fifty -- if I wanted. I picked out 6 magazines and then put four back because my Inner Tightwad wouldn't let me be so extravagant! ha.

I also couldn't resist the cover, which promised that I might learn what Clinton was up to lately -- what will all the goo gah glowing about him I hear from folks at work. God. It's rather irritating to have to listen to it all the time -- what a fucking genius he was. rah rah. The only respite I get is from a die-hard freeper, though he generally keeps his views under his hat. (As do I, because I find I learn a lot more about what people think if I shut up and let them carry the convo.)

Anyway, first up was an article at socially responsible investing (SRI). I'd always thought these were mainly about investing in outfits like Ben & Jerry's. Turns out that the top three criteria for which companies are screened are tobacco, alcohol, and gambling. According to the author, Henry Blodget, the Social Investment Forum, which promotes SRI, says that the roots of the practice go back to the colonial-era Quakers and Methodists. It was slightly refreshing to read the author point out that SRI includes things like labor practices, but apparently SRIs tend to be more concerned with things like environmentalism before they worry themselves about whether a company has stellar labor practices. (Of course, the author duly pointed out that, no matter how you look at it, "our economic system is socially problematic. The benefits accrue disproportionately to owners..., who make fortunes off the labor of .. employees." etc.

Another article was about Clinton's and Ira Magaziner's attempts to "reinvent philanthropy" by using "free market" principles.

What's the dish on Magaziner? I vaguely recall his name coming up in the social science lit every so often -- particularly, if I am remembering correctly, in sociology of organizations. But otherwise, any good left-critique dirt on him?

And what about leftish critiques of the Clinton Foundation's work? Any out there?

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)