[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 9 08:10:22 PDT 2007

Marvin writes

"Yoshie and LT think it gives aid and comfort to the enemy to point to the limitations on democratic rights in Iran. I happen to agree with Doug and others who think it's not necessary or principled for the left to practice this form of self-censorship, especially internally, but I don't think it's urgent that there be a meeting of the minds on this issue, so long as opposition to current US policy remains firm."

Yoshie reasons that ACT UP and other members of the gay international are sinister imperialist creations. I think this form of insinuation should not be allowed. I imagine that you are not gay, I am not either. But isn't anyone a bit sickened by the subtext here--that those morally compromised homosexuals are doing the Empire's work? Others seem to think that anti racists and feminists would not exist without the need for niche marketing. So resistance is just the most advanced wing of the system. The theorists are so much smarter than the people who have actually improved the world often at considerable personal cost. I agree with Doug's reply to Lenin. He's not making his point.

Rakesh