[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 9 09:19:01 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> Perhaps Yoshie is bending
> the stick a bit too far in one direction, but that's because she may
> feel that little heed is paid to the priorities of the national
> struggle and too much emphasis is placed on the flaws of the
> actually-existing leadership in Iran's national struggle.

I'm going to say for the 56th and last time: I probably never would have posted anything about the horrors of Iranian domestic policy had Yoshie not started pumping out the apologetics about "dear Imam" Khomeini, her "beloved Islamic Republic of Iran," and the superiority of religion over Marxism. Most left discourse about Iran is about trying to figure out what the Bush administration's intentions are and how to stop them from attacking the country. And, as Whitaker argued, the attention paid by "The Gay International" to Iran is hardly disproportionate; there's no measurable "obsession" with Iran really. The administration doesn't give a shit about queer rights, and gives only the most pro forma shit about women's rights. (Check out the White House website to see how little they've said about it.) Most of its rationale for hostility towards Iran is over the nuclear program and the alleged support of the resistance in Iraq. They need the support of Hillary-type Democrats to start a war with Iran, not Doug Ireland or me.

Doug