[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:34:58 PDT 2007

On 10/9/07, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> leftism cannot provide an antidote or alternative because, IMO, its
> connection to the common good remains tenuous and contingent (at
> least until the arrival of the mathematical science that can
> demonstrate the legitimacy of the 'ought' in contrast to the 'is'),
> especially in light of the stronger version offered by religious
> communities.

Well, anticommunists have always had the contrary criticism of the Left, which is that it borrows the forms of religion without the appropriate moral mythos (Mark Gerson's account of the 'neoconservative vision' even manages to repeat this charge several times, even while blithering on about - in Niebuhr's terms - 'children of light' and 'children of darkness'). I say we embrace this criticism as a badge of honour: we are militants, messianics, worshippers at the Temple of Bronstein, Manifesto-thumping fanatics, worshipping the pantheon of saints and vilifying the devils who tempt the people with 'reform' this and 'tax break' that. The *only* deal we should accept is total salvation.

Amen.