[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 9 13:50:35 PDT 2007

LT wrote:

>Subtext means underlying or implicit meaning: to accuse Yoshie of being
>implicitly homophobic is a serious charge, and it demands proper
>elaboration.

That's a pretty pedestrian take on the meaning of subtext. You keep personalizing things. The subtext can be there, whether Yoshie intends it or not, or whether she agrees with it or not. It's one of those always-already things. To point that out is not the same as accusing her of being implicitly homophobic.

>Your vague imprecations don't quite suffice, I'm afraid.

And you wonder why you would be described as a litterateur?