[lbo-talk] Venezuela

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Oct 10 13:25:29 PDT 2007

I forwarded Yoshie's characterization:

> "In Venezuela, a petit-bourgeois populist leader has political
> supremacy..."

to a friend who's a professor of Latin American history and knows Venezuela quite well. His comment:

> Well, aside from being an accusation rather than an analysis, I'd
> say it was completely wrong and does nothing to explain the
> dynamics of Chavismo nor recent Venezuelan history, not to mention

^^^^^

CB: Well, you know, Chavez is a professional. A Lt. Colonel in the paratroopers. That's sort of "petit bourgeois", although technically he probably didn't employ others with petit capital that he owned.